Friday, August 31, 2012

Black and White and Pink - A Dramatic Card

It's time for some drama peeps and nothing is more dramatic than the color combination of pink, black and white. So I put together a little card using these colors. It doesn't slide, explode or stand up but I'm pretty kicked with the way it turned out. And with Teachers Day just around the corner, I thought it would be a perfect way for my little boy to show his appreciation for his nursery 'Aunty'. 

If you're an avid crafter like me, you probably spend a great deal of time scouring YouTube for craft videos. One recurring trend I always see is 'layering'. So I jumped on the bandwagon. This card has 4 different layers - black, then white, then pink pattern paper and finally a stamped and embossed card.


I've also learned that sentiments should not be hand-written unless you have a calligraphic hand writing style, which I certainly don't. A professional and elegant card can quickly lose its beauty if such a risk is taken. Since I couldn't find a stamp for this message, I used my computer and took a print out. I cut it to size and glued it on a black strip of card. Is that cheating?

Here's a list of items I used for this creation all from ItsyBitsy of course:

  1. Black card stock
  2. White Card Stock
  3. Grosgrain Ribbon
  4. Pink Craft Rose
  5. Framelits Die - for the circles


Let me know what you think of this 'dramatic card' - I really love hearing your feedback, comments and tips!

25 comments:

  1. Damn pretty! looks awesome! :)
    Have u made the rose ? If yes, how? please share! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - thanks a lot. No I didn't make the rose. Got it from ItsyBitsy. The pink ones are out of stock but they have blue and white. Really pretty. The link is on the blog.

      Delete
  2. It's so tempting sunehra!!! i LOVED THE COLOR SCHEME:)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it love it love it!!! Beautiful card Sunehra!! I like using computer generated sentiments.. And do the same trick! Its far more economical for a newbie like me..;)
    Again ..Gorgeous !!

    Hugs

    Jaya
    mycraftworld23.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey glad to hear that others are also printing out their sentiments. Its impossible to get every possible sentiment stamp, I'd totally go broke!

      Delete
  4. Black white and pink is an awesome combination! I guess I must be one of the few who hates you tube![dont have the patience to watch the you tube videos!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia - can't believe you don't watch youtube. I am the total opposite, I'm hooked!!!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous and on so elegant!! love your card Sunhera and trust me it's not cheating to use computer generated sentiments at all...infact stamp veteran Jennifer Mc Guire does it all the time so i can vouch for it!!!i love the layering and the embossing you have done ...its given such beautiful results am sure your son's teacher is gonna be so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hussena - thanks so much for the feedback. Glad to know stampers take print outs too. The thing is my son has 2 teachers, so now I gotta make another one. Yay!!

      Delete
  6. awesome color combo.....and as u say..layering is the trend for sure and this is fab....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya layering is all over the net. But it does make the card a little top heavy. At least 1 additional layer is required on the inside to balance it out.

      Delete
  7. Lovely card Sunehra...love that pink flower, its not there in the Delhi store :(
    And the color combo is too cute. And its no cheating to use computer printed sentiments :) We all do it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kno! the pink flower is out of stock but its available in blue and white on the net. The link is on the blog. Great to hear that printing is not cheating. Don't know why I felt kinda guilty about it! BTW glad to see you slipped in your tricolor challenge submission. Was wondering what happened. Cheers!

      Delete
  8. I also believe that this colour combo is great and always works..card is very pretty..like the pp very much !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Poornima - ya I totally adore this pattern paper. Actually my friend had it and I just had to get it too. Forgot to add the link on the blog. Will update it for sure!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful dramatic card !The rose looks so real..and ya layering is trend I am next one to try it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks a lot Pooja. The rose is just gorgeous! Have to say! I picked it up a few months ago and was holding on to it till I had the perfect embellishment opportunity.

      Delete
  10. wow!!! i loved it!! i would like to know how you made that flower.. its gorgeous..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rashmita, the flower is an embellishment from ItsyBitsy. Didn't make it myself. The link to shop for it is up on the blog. Happy crafting!

      Delete
  11. i have one suggestion .. take ur pictures against white background and in sunlight ..
    they will come out very pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you're saying Mallika - I was in such a hurry to blog about it, I coudn't wait for the sun to come up. Next time for sure! and thanks for the help.

      Delete