Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Sunflowers and Die Cutting

So my little girl Kyra is turning one next week and I've been busy crafting my head off for her birthday party. The theme is sunflowers and I've managed to incorporate the theme quite substantially in the entire event. The birthday invitations, decorations, thank-you cards and take away gifts are all embellished with sunflowers. And I couldn't have done it without my Big Shot and some super dies.

Sunflower  Invitations

This was the invitation card. I kept it fairly simple considering I had to make about 20 of them but I managed to incorporate stamping, embossing and die cutting all into each invitation. The background yellow card is embossed with an ItsyBitsy embossing folder. The green pattern paper is one of my favorites and the sunflowers were created using a Sizzlits flower layer die. I even managed to find brown foam circles for the center from ItsyBitsy. I provided the details like time, place and venue on the reverse side, so the front was dedicatedly sunflowers.


Here's a video of how I made the flowers using my BigShot and a Sizzlits Die


Sunflower Decorations

I'm having the party in the front garden of my parents house and I wanted it to be flooded with sunflowers. Now creating them from scratch in the numbers I needed would be too mammoth a task so I need a simple approach. I started with a yellow plastic disposable plate and placed a brown circle in the center. I used brown card stock and a circle framelits die both from ItsyBitsy to create the circle. Once that was glued down, I detailed the petals with a black marker. Fabulous wouldn't you say! I've made about 40 of them, each taking about 2 minutes to create. 

Sunflower Thank You Notes

Next I got to work on the Thank You cards which would be attached to the party favors. I used a yellow card stock and added my signature green pattern paper. I placed an ItsyBitsy sunflower on the corner and finished it off with a picket fence embellishment. The 'Thank You' was stamped, not the neatest job, have to say!



I had so much fun bringing this theme to life and I'm still brimming with ideas. The food, the balloons, everything has a potential to be thematic. Let's see how the shingding turns out. Irrespective, it's been a real crafty pleasure!

20 comments:

  1. Really liked the theme you have gone with for your daughter;'s birthday and advance wishes to her :) I love the sunflower plate idea and your invites and thank you cards look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hussena, the sunflower plate appears to be a big hit! Coolio

      Delete
  2. advanced birthday wishes to your daughter, very well done invitation cards,flower with plates, thankyou cards and hatsoff to your patience :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kavitha though I must admit it does require a lot of patience. Hahah

      Delete
  3. What a huge task and so beautifully executed ! Love how you have made the invitations simple yet pretty , I esp loved the plates, planning a party with handmade items is a scary task but you have made it simple with some great techniques. Thanks for sharing

    Hugs
    Shubhra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shubhra, glad you like it. It's a great excuse to craft actually. I've been at it for like a month now and I love having a project to get to.

      Delete
  4. thats such a lovely theme idea, all bright and cheerful. love the sunflowers plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Lavina! And I can really make volumes of the plate so the theme can really come alive without burning a hole in my pocket. Only in my fingers I guess. Haha

      Delete
  5. Loved the sunflower as well as your blog
    anandhirajan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot - Heading right now to your blog. Happy crafting.

      Delete
  6. I love every part of it Sunehra.. Especially the sunflower plate..its just awesome...and and advance birthday wishes to little Kyra... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks a lot - what is your name, feel weird calling you craft crazy - haha.

      Delete
  7. Do convey my advance wishes 2 ur daughter Sunehra...
    and i must say " U HAV DONE A FAB JOB" with all the work u have created dear..
    I m quite sure ur daughter must be really very excited and proud 2 have a crafter mom :)
    I liked ur sunflower cards the most :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little daughter has no idea what her mama is busy doing and I think she would prefer I stop crafting and play with her. But thanks for the wishes and the compliments.

      Delete
  8. Birthday Wishes for your little angel in advance..sunflower theme is quet different, really like it !! the plate is wonderful !! have a great party !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Poornima - will try and post photos of the party to see if the theme really comes to life.

      Delete
  9. Hiii..So excited to have the very first comment on my post from u and Thanks a lot for been my very first follower..I loved the Sunflower theme and the thank u card is so pretty..Cant wait to see ur earlier creations..so gonna do that now:)..n meanwhile following u :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina - welcome aboard and all the best for your crafting ventures! Exciting times ahead!

      Delete
  10. And advance Birthday wishes to Kyra..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Tina - ya will pass them on but doubt she'll know what I'm saying - haha she's just one.

      Delete