Hello this is Angela and this time I am back soon with an inspiration post on 3 ways to use burlap ribbons. Have you checked out the new burlap ribbon collection at Itsy Bitsy? Oh my god they look so good! They have plain burlap ribbon in all pretty shades, ones with dots, with chevrons, with laces and what not! Anyways, I chose this blue chevron pattern burlap ribbon for the 3 inspiration projects. Checkout how they are used.
As always a little about the burlap ribbons :
- Burlap in Indian terms is jute or similar fiber and the ones used in these ribbons are softer and have less dispersing fibers.
- The burlap ribbons come in two widths, 6 cm and 12 cm. They are enough for using as such, or for altering projects.
- The burlap ribbon collection at Itsy Bitsy is really pretty. They have plain ribbons in all pretty shades and there are several patterns that will blow your mind. I'm sure you would be tempted to have them all in your stash!
- The burlap ribbons are a little stiff. They can hence be used very well to fit into your projects. Don't wash them because they will become softer and wrinklier. But if you want to use them for making embellishments for your dress or cushion cover then hand-wash them, iron and then use for your project.
- The original burlap suits projects in vintage and rustic themes. The best way to pair them is to use them with vintage elements and they go well with pastels, whites and shades of grey.
DIY burlap wrapped Candle :
Well I have a great solution for hiding them beautifully! I wrapped the jar with burlap ribbon and voila!
A little detail in your project never hurts. So, here is how I made it. I used blue shaded hemp chord and added silver beads at small intervals. Cut out the burlap ribbon in size to match the height of the jar and just enough to cover around it.
You should see the beauty when its lit up. Much prettier than the original jar version ;)
A few more closeup pics of the burlap ribbon wrapped candle holder. You can use the same idea for pillar candles as well, but be sure to keep the ribbon restricted to the center and not till the wick.
Burlap ribbon gift wrap :
The only little detail you need to look for is color coordination. I added a few handmade roses to go with the color theme and also to inject some extra prettiness. You can choose from the huge variety of handmade flower embellishments at Itsy Bitsy to match your chosen color theme.
Burlap ribbon bookmarks :
I started off with brown cardstock to match the shade of the burlap ribbon. I cut them out into a rectangle 2"x 6". The standard size of bookmarks are 2"x 6" , 2"x 7" and 2"x 8" and I chose the smallest because all the books I own are novels of smaller sizes.
The ribbon which I used is 12cm wide. I cut them across the length to fit the width of my bookmark. I cut the ribbon leaving a small margin at the sides and bottom to remove a few lines of the weaving to expose cute fringes :) I removed the threads one by one from each of the sides to make little fringes. Don't throw the threads away - they are useful !
I punched out a hole at the top edge of the cardstock before sticking the burlap ribbon on it. I used decoupage glue liberally over the cardstock working over smaller areas starting from the bottom and moving to the top. The cardstock might curl up. In that case, place a heavy book on it so that it dries straight and flat.
Once its dry, put a thick needle or something similar through the burlap across the hole you punched at the top and seal its edge with an eyelet. I had these heart shaped wooden beads in my stash that I used with the twine holding the bookmark. I used the same threads that I had previously removed from the burlap ribbon to make the fringes and tied few of those heart beads here and there.
Pretty aren't they?
I told you burlap ribbons are a beauty and you can use them anywhere and everywhere. There are loads of other projects you can use them in, like scrapbook covers, mason jar wraps, photo frames, cushion covers and what not! Just grab them right now and think of ways to use them in your everyday projects. Hope you liked my inspirations :)
Links to supplies :
Blue chevron pattern burlap ribbon
Blue hemp twine
Organza white ribbon
Wooden Hearts beads
Other designer wooden beads ( butterfly, cars, apple, star etc)