Thursday, June 22, 2017

Crafter in The Spotlight 55 - Itsy Bitsy

Thursday is back and so am I with another talented Crafter in the Spotlight! This week Dolly Shah from Bangalore is here to share her story with us.

Dolly was aware of her inclination towards creative fields from childhood. However, she discovered her passion for craft and found time to pursue it quite recently. She thoroughly enjoys the art of decoupage and admires the way it helps up-cycle almost anything!


How did Dolly get into crafting, what inspires her, what are her tips for fellow crafters, her favourite quote, how would she contribute to the crafting world if she had magical powers? Read answers to all these questions, discover more about her interesting journey and catch a glimpse of a step by step project by Dolly in this interview. Don't forget to leave your comments for her.




Let’s see how Dolly feels about being featured in the ‘Crafter in the Spot Light”
Firstly, I would like to thank Rashmi, Anita & the entire team of Itsy Bitsy for bringing me into spotlight. I really like your approach…. it doesn’t only encourage us but gives us recognition & a way to appreciate our talents. Kudos to the team Itsy Bitsy!!

Rashmi Closepet, MD, Itsy Bitsy: Tell us a bit about yourself & your background?
DS: My name is Dolly Shah. I was born & brought up in Bangalore. I did my schooling from Bishop Cotton Girls High School, Bachelors in science in Fashion & Apparel Designing from Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology & Masters in Science in Apparel Technology & Management. I have worked for 10 years in a private firm as a fashion Designer. I’m married for 7 years & have a son who is 5 yrs old now. Currently I’m a proud home maker bringing up my little one with his choice of food & spending good quality time with him.

RC: How did you get into crafting?
DS: As kids, we never had access to any kind of tutorials or Itsy Bitsy :) Always did projects & models with our own creativity. Hence knew that I was more inclined towards the creative field. Post pregnancy worked as a consultant for 4 years, couldn’t work further as I wanted to be completely committed to my son. Hence from past 1 & half years developed this passion for art of decoupage & mix media & ever since there is no stop to explore my own creativity. 
RC:  What is your favourite type of craft?
DS: I really enjoy art of decoupage. I think it’s a wonderful art if learnt correctly. This is an art where you can up-cycle anything & everything, you can never make a mistake (mistake itself looks like a wonderful art). With this technique you can create what is exactly on your mind.

RC: What are your favourite products at Itsy Bitsy?
DS: I really love the floral embellishments & the home decor section just pulls me closer whenever I visit Itsy Bitsy. Gesso of course, which I really can’t do without & lately a craze for gold alcohol sprays & chalk paints, has dawned upon me.

RC:   If you had magical powers, how would you contribute to the Crafting world?
DS: If I had magical powers I would have a castle completely done up interior & exterior with art of decoupage & mix media where crafters would go crazy picking up their choice of materials under one roof.
RC: Your prized possession in your craft stash from Itsy Bitsy?
DS: My prized possession from Itsy Bitsy includes cutting board, flowers, gesso, pattern papers & decoupage papers, brushes & paints. 
RC: How would you describe your style of crafting?
DS: My style of crafting has a very practical approach. I believe what exclusively you make, you should be able to use in your daily life. All the products that I create have a very niche or quirky look & priced at most affordable range. 
RC: How do you organize your time for crafting?
DS: As I said I’m totally committed to my little one, I barely get minimum of 1 hour a day or sometimes not even that :). But whatever time, I try to make the best of it!
RC: Tips for people who want to craft
DS: Crafting is a creative field which you can never master fully, whichever craft you’re into, you would have barely explored 20%, so keep learning & keep exploring, Creative people can never give up… so just keep it going. Thanks to Itsy Bitsy & so many crafting tutorials which has given us a huge platform to let our inner creativity out. Just enjoy what you do. 
RC:  Your all -time favourite quote?
DS: "No one is you & that is your power". Be your own kind of beautiful.💗

Here is a gorgeous project by Dolly & step by step procedure:


As decoupage is my favorite art I would use layers to show the art of decoupage. 


Step 1 : I am using the below embellishments & paints to complete a wooden cup cake stand.




Step 2 : Always sand your base product (wood or glass) & clean it properly before you start any project. 


Step 3: Painted the scalloped trays with pink chalk paint (from Itsy bitsy) . I have given double coat for better enhancement. 


Step 4 : Painted the cake stand with Tattered Lace chalk paint (from Itsy Bitsy).  


Step 5 : I have finished the borders with stick-on pearls. 



 Step 6 : With help of water &  brush took flowers that I thought was appropriate for decoupaging from the 3 ply tissue. Placed them & with help of decoupage glue and pasted them. 



 Step 7 : Distressed the sides of the tissue with same color (pink chalk paint) as the base, so as to blend well. 



Step 8 : I have distressed the cake stand by using the pink chalk paint, golden acrylic paint &  Golden Canary with the help of sponge & finished the bottom of the stand with stick-on pearls.  



Step 9 : Distressed the scalloped tray & flowers with tinge of gold. 



 Step 10 : Sprinkled fairy dust gold on the flowers & glitters around the scalloped sides of the tray (both from Itsy Bitsy)  



Lastly, I sealed it completely with decoupage glue & varnished it. 






Here are a couple of  Dolly's other awesome creations:







Many congrats Dolly for being the CRAFTER IN THE SPOTLIGHT – ITSY BITSY!!


You will receive Rs.500/- Itsy Bitsy gift voucher ðŸ˜ŠðŸ˜Š & a Crafter in the Spotlight badge, which can be proudly displayed on the side bar of your blog and other platforms. Looking forward to many more creations, Happy Crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment