Thursday, May 4, 2017

Crafter in The Spotlight 48- Itsy Bitsy

Hello arty-crafty folks,

It’s Thursday, time to introduce another talented crafter and her story. This week’s Crafter in the Spotlight is Vasanthi Nayak, an architect by profession and a resident of Bangalore.

Vasanthi had interest in art and craft from her schooldays which later turned into her hobby. Altering and up-cycling things were among the favourite craft projects done by Vasanthi. Slowly she ventured into other craft styles and was always motivated by her sister, who also introduced her to Itsy Bitsy.

How did Vasanthi get into crafting, what inspires her, what are her tips for fellow crafters, her favourite quote, how would she contribute to the crafting world if she had magical powers? Do visit our blog to find answers to all these questions, discover more about her interesting journey and catch a glimpse of a step by step project by Vasanthi in this interview. Do encourage your fellow crafter by leaving some love & comments for her.


Rashmi Closepet, MD, Itsy Bitsy: Tell us a bit about yourself & your background?
Vasanthi Nayak:  Hi, I am Vasanthi. I am basically from Udupi, Karnataka but after marriage I am settled in Bangalore. I am an Architect by Profession. I always wanted to get into the creative field. Even in my school days I was good with drawings, sketching and crafts. It gives me immense pleasure to design and create beautiful pieces of art. I am also fond of photography.

RC:How did you get into crafting?
VN: Initially crafting was just a hobby. Whenever I was free, I used to try and make simple and useful crafts as I love up-cycled crafts. I used whatever available at home like chocolate boxes, bottles and jars, cereal box, plastic containers etc. My sister who is also a craft lover supported and appreciated my creations and also introduced me to Itsy Bitsy. Slowly I started exploring different forms of crafting inspired by my fellow crafters on facebook and also started learning from online tutorials. I tried altered projects, MDF boxes, paintings, fridge magnets, altered wine bottles, party décor, photo albums, journals, scrapbook, decoupage etc., as I love to learn and explore different type of crafts.

RC:What is your favourite type of craft?
VN: I make different types and styles but my personal favourite is vintage and up-cycled crafts and altered MDF boxes.

RC:What are your favourite products at Itsy Bitsy?
VN:  I love the wide range of craft supplies at Itsy Bitsy but my favourites are burlap sheets, vintage papers, chalk paints, embellishments, chip board shapes

RC:If you had magical powers, how would you contribute to the Crafting world?
VN: If I had magical powers, I would just think of all the awesome craft supplies in the world and it would appear in front of me so that I could make more awesome craft projects! I wouldn’t mind distributing them to my crafter friends because no one ever says …‘I have enough craft supplies’, right guys?? J

RC: Your prized possession in your craft stash from Itsy Bitsy?
VN: My prized possession from Itsy Bitsy would be chalk paints, vintage papers and burlap sheets.


RC: How would you describe your style of crafting?
VN: I make all types of crafts but my favourite would be vintage style, and up-cycled crafts.

RC: How do you organize your time for crafting?
VN: I generally set targets. Within a particular time I need to complete a certain amount of work. I usually craft 3 to 4 hours a day, when I am free.

RC:Tips for people who want to craft
VN: I would like to tell new crafters that do not hesitate or even think that what you have crafted is not so good or that, you won’t be able to make as good as others. Always give it a try and learn from tutorials available online. Just start with simple crafts and explore more because everyone is unique and have their own style.

RC:Your all -time favourite quote?
VN: The ‘EARTH’ without ‘ART’ is just ‘EH’!



Here is a gorgeous project by Vasanthi & step by step procedure:

I thought of doing a step by step tutorial for a simple party banner, so that for your next in house party you can make your own banners! I have made a Bon Voyage banner, you can make similar birthday banner also.

Things you will need to make the banner


Card stock of any colour (I have used black)

A beautiful pattern paper of your choice

A thin satin ribbon

A punching machine to punch holes

Chalk paint of your choice of colour (available at Itsy Bitsy)

Mdf alphabets (available at Itsy Bitsy) can also use chip board alphabets or foam alphabets instead.

Paint brush no 12 from Itsy Bitsy, can use any similar brush

Silicon glue and craft glue from Itsy Bitsy

Cute embellishments to go with the theme from Itsy Bitsy.

Step one
Cut the black card stock into 5”x5” squares. Also cut the pattern paper 4.8”x4.8”squares.Cut as many numbers required. I made 10 each for ‘Bon Voyage’. I have also counted the space between the words as one square.


Step 2
Stick the cut pattern papers on the square cardstocks using craft glue. Make sure you get equal black borders on the sides. Do the same for all 10 pieces.


Step 3.
Now punch holes with the help of a double punch machine in each square. Two equidistant holes in each.



Step 4.
Now slide in a matching, thin satin ribbon through the puched holes. Make big knots on both the sides of the banner so they don’t come off the ribbon.



Step 5
Paint the Mdf alphabets using chalk paint. Do not dilute it the paint. I have used sailing sky chalk paint from Itsy Bitsy which is a nice Teal colour. Let it dry for some time. It dries soon.


Step 6.
Stick the alphabets on the banner in order using silicon glue. Don’t forget to leave the space between two words blank.


Step 7

In the blank square you can add embellishments to go with the theme. I have used an Eiffel tower sticker and hearts from itsy bitsy.If you are making a birthday banner you can use birthday stickers.



And the banner is ready! Wasn’t that simple.

Here are a couple of  Vasanthi's other awesome creations:

 Handmade Mdf watch box decorated with vintage papers,metal charms, mdf shapes etc. Music and travel theme.






Photo frame using burlap sheets and jute alphabets, texture paper and heart embellishments from itsy bitsy.



Handmade Mdf jewellery box.Floral theme using floral pattern papers,lace,flower embellishments.


Handmade mdf watch box- bike theme.used vintage papers and chipboard gears,clocks,corrugated sheet,distress ink etc.


Many congrats Vasanthi for being the CRAFTER IN THE SPOTLIGHT – ITSY BITSY!!



You will receive Rs.500/- Itsy Bitsy gift voucher 😊😊 & a Crafter in the Spotlight badge, which can be proudly displayed on the side bar of your blog and other platforms. Looking forward to many more creations, Happy Crafting!

2 comments: