Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Candy Box and Card Set


With festival season around the corner, I thought it would be fun to spend some time doing candy boxes to pack with chocolates, sweets or mithai. I honestly feel that candies become even sweeter when the presentation is top notch which is why I wanted to go all out to make the box and coordinating card as grand as possible. I also feel that candy and sweet boxes should have a 'peek-a-boo' window for a sneak peak at the goodies inside so that that's what I included in my creation. 


For the base of the box I kept it simple with a black card as I was planning to go a bit insane for the lid. I started with some bright orange card stock on which I stamped this pretty damask design using a Kaisercraft stamp from Itsy Bitsy with versamark ink. Then I dusted some black WOW embossing powder all over the inked design and once I dusted off the excess, I used my heat tool to melt the powder and create this pretty glazed finish. Here's a close up of the embossing. For a detailed view of how the heat embossing, be sure to catch the tutorial video at the end of this post. 


Then I got to work creating the see-through-portion of the lid which I accomplished using some Scallop Rectangle Dies from Itsy Bitsy coupled with transparency sheets. The next step was embellishing the lid and here I decided to make my own flowers. Using the Sizzix Sizzlets 3 pack flower die, I created the corner flower embellishments and added a flourish on either side for a little drama. Pearls and doilies on the edge finished off the box. 


For a detailed account on how I heat embossed the lid and created the see through window, watch my video tutorial below.


At the end of my project, I realised that the colours I chose made the set appear to be more appropriate Halloween than  a happy Festival so if I could do it over, I think I would have replaced the orange with gold or silver or even a rich red. That said, I was really kicked with my black flowers and the heat embossing.

How do you like my project and the tutorial? Would love your frank feedback. Leave a comment and let me know!

Supplies Used

10 comments:

  1. Lovely creation ! Window boxes are on my mind too.... Thanks for the lovely video:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely box. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Especially love the window idea. Whats up otherwise Sunehra..what happened to the challenge for Sept?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sonia, we were rethinking our challenge and needed a few days to work out the modalities. It's done now, so hope to see your entry in our Pretty P Challenge

      Delete
  4. Bold, and pretty, Sunehra. Kudos for attempting a bold colour choice. I am dead afraid of orange :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know if I pulled it off, but glad you liked it Vithya

      Delete
  5. It’s truly a nice and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please stay

    us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.
    Candy Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent information you've got right here on this post.thanks for sharing
    custom candy boxes

    ReplyDelete